Monday, March 3, 2014

A Thing I Learned This Weekend

10 square feet per player is not enough, operating under modern American ideas of how much personal space a body needs. (~15 players, 150 sq. ft.)

It worked, even with real-time combat, and nobody physically injured anybody else that I'm aware of due to the constrained nature of the space, although it wouldn't surprise me to learn I missed something. But, while we had intended it to be stressful, we hadn't intended it to be that stressful, and people were spilling over the boundaries of the space constantly.

We had the same number of people in the same room two years ago, but for this game we moved the boundaries of the play space a couple feet in from the walls, and losing ~60 sq. ft. (4 per person) made a huge difference.

I hadn't actually expected to be able to derive a reasonable rule-of-thumb number, and some sense of its error bars, so I'm writing both of those down here in the hope I can refer back to them in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment